Your church needs to buy a blanket song license to have the legal right to use songs in your services (and so the composers receive their royalties). This inexpensive license covers printing words to songs, recording this music during your Sunday services, PowerPoint projection, and more.
The fee is based on the size of your average attendance (combined attendance if more than 1 service.)
Blanket Song licenses are available from:
- The federal copyright law requires you to first get permission from the song owner before you can copy any song words or music. Since it's not practical to do this individually for every song and every composer, you can buy a "blanket license" to allow you to make copies of the songs listed by that licensor.
- "Copy" means any duplication of song words or musicůsuch as printing the lyrics in the bulletin or on song sheets, storing lyrics in a computer to project on a screen (PowerPoint), photocopying from a hymnal, or recording music during your service (including the choir, special music, and offertories.) The license also covers making customized arrangements for congregational use when no published version is available.
- Songs are to be copied for the purpose of assisting in congregational worship, not for other purposes.
- The license does not cover photocopies of choir music or arrangement music - you are supposed to buy enough copies for the whole choir!
- You can not share or distribute copies with other churches or ministries; this license is intended for your own church needs.
- emPower Music Rights - www.empowerma.com - New Thought song licensing... includes artists such as: Karen Taylor-Good, Jana Stanfield, Lytingale, David Roth, Richard Mekdeci, Karen Drucker, David Ault, Sue Kroupa Riley, Armand, Coco Ramos... and many more. Unity composers are joining every day! Fees from $100/year, based on size. Average attendance of 100-199 = $150/yr.
- Church Copyright License: www.ccli.com - covers 200,000 mainstream, religious worship songs. Fees from $50/year, based on size. Average attendance of 100-199 = $175/yr.
Once you are a member, you will fill out a simple form online each month, listing what songs have been used that month. This only takes a few minutes, and it ensures that you are in compliance with copyright laws and gives songwriters the compensation they are due for their intellectual property.
|Choir Music Advice | Song Licensing
| Choir Directors/Music Directors contact info | Song List |
| Easter Season Music | Music Publishers